Someone asked me on one of my recent dribbble shots how I achieved this texture.
In Illustrator, you can use the 'roughen' filter to get something pretty close to this, which is great... if you know how to use illustrator. I have no idea where to start, so I looked around for a technique of my own.
Via this, I use the following technique to get nice rough edges, just like in Illustrator.
- Make a selection of the target (in this case, the word "quality")
- Press "Q" to get into the Quick Mask tool
- Go to Filter > Pixelate > Crystallize
- Play around with the settings, but I find the very lowest one is the best
- Invert the quick mask selection with Cmd/Ctrl + i
- Press "Q" to get out of Quick Mask, then press delete
- High five yourself. You just made an awesome textured edge.