After a few weeks being busy with client work i finally had some free time which i filled up designing my personal website. Doing personal work is really awful (i'm my worst client ever). Somehow it is never good, unique or personal enough for my taste.
I decided to share my entire process, which can be pretty weird (see my previous post: http://forrst.com/posts/Personal_website_A_new_beginning-HWg ). My precious shot was a quick concept i made and was a first attempt designing in the browser. My main objectives are:
- Fun (not childish fun)
Those objectives still stand, but the design changed a lot. Usually when there is no context, branding or specific idea i will start with some tagline or praise. This time i focused on pixels because i'm a graphic designer (by education) who wants to specialize in web design and pixels gave me something to work with. This thought gave me the idea to make a colorful squared design with a very tight grid and luxurious spacing. I liked the squares of the first design, but the overall design looked all a bit generic, made up and the colors are pretty bad. I don't have a lot of work that i can show (or want to show) in my portfolio. The design needs to give some body to a relatively small amount of projects (only showing the best). With that requirement i took some colors and content and rearranged the *** out of it.
After a few hours of juggling with pixels and trying to remember my goals and needs i ended up with the screenshot i posted here. It is not perfect yet. For now i just focussed on the overall feeling and layout of the website.
Some things i like (for now):
- Portfolio section: I think the portfolio really stands out and has some playfulness without becoming childish. Not really sure about the project titles (needs work).
- Structure: I like the tight structure because it makes the page pretty unique.
- Colors: It might be a bit bold, but i like the contrast the dark blue gives the page. It tones down the playfulness and shows i can be serious and professional to. Some text might need a bit more contrast i think.
Some things i don't like.
- Somehow i think the header text could use some playfulness and is a bit stiff now. Might need something that breaks out of the structure or something like that. I like the tight grid, but now everything is "locked up" and it might be nice to break free from time to time.
- I'm not really sure about the flat design. I feel it really suits my goals and the overall feeling of the page (to much decorating could make this design a bit to bussy i think). The flat design trend is really all over the place and don't want to follow the crowd unless it fits the project perfectly.
Please note: This design will probably shift and shape during many weeks, changing my mind about things and hating the posts i made here. Nonetheless i want to show a bit more about my process, concepts, mistakes and everything that surrounds my work, because i like it when others show unpolished work and i might end up learning some things from the wonderful Forrst community.
I'm not sure about any specific feedback that i would like, but your opinion on layout and color scheme is very much appreciated. General opinion on any of the others parts of the design are of course welcome to :)